Saturday, September 15, 2007

Sydney is wonderful


Sydney was at its best today. The weather was superb, not a cloud in the sky, absolutely perfect temperature ... I went into the city to look around the botanical gardens. Wonderful - the spring flowers make the place stunning! I shared a fish and chips lunch with an ibis and ambled around photographing the flying foxes. The only disappointment was that the botanical gardens doesn't have any waratahs (and here is a link to a page about waratahs just to prove to my mum that I know how to make links). Anyway, the lady at the information desk told me that I need to head off to the Mt. Tomah botanic gardens to see some waratahs (I plan to do this next weekend). In fact, my plan is to go somewhere different in Sydney each weekend!

Everybody in Sydney looked ridiculously happy. In the botanical gardens a young Chinese couple were trying to photograph themselves (with their camera's timer) leaping in the air, holding hands, in front of the harbour. They got quite a crowd of people around them who were all making "helpful" suggestions - mainly about how to levitate for 10 seconds. I bought an ice cream from a very cheerful Asian guy. I then bought a book and was given another book for free "because it was such a nice day"!

My free book is a lonely planet guide to Sydney which describes the "feeding of the lettuce to the giant dragon" that takes place in Sydney once a year. Well, I certainly have missed that in the last 5 years, but won't be missing it again!

In the afternoon I headed back to work and played a few games of ping-pong with Dick, actually did some work and then chatted away with Bill and his wife for a while. At home, I've been boxing up Maryam's stuff and rearranging the house. In the gardens I bought a piece of botanical artwork of a banksia which I now have up on the wall!

I'm now going to eat my dinner of rump steak and jacket potato (and whatever veg. I can find that's not all soggy) and watch "Il cuore altrove" which I bought on DVD a week ago, but haven't got around to watching yet.

3 comments:

Alison Hobbs said...

Thanks for the link to the waratahs! And I managed to find a few web pages about 'Il cuore altrove', myself.

Your Sydney tulips were a wonderful surprise: as we have autumn leaves here, I'd forgotten it was spring elsewhere. So glad you're enjoying it.

faith said...

When you go to Mt. Tomah, don't forget to look out for the recently-planted grove of Wollemi Pines1

faith said...

Sorry about the "mumandad" bit - obviously I need to edit this somehow ...