Monday, September 17, 2007

Canada, here we come ...

This is the first time that I've had a flight itinerary that says that my flight time will be 42 hours! However, that does include a night in Vancouver on Christmas eve! The Air Canada web site was a disaster and it took me more than one and a half hours to complete the booking (which involved three phone calls and four resets of the firefox window!). I'll be travelling with Jonathan. This should be great! I think that it's Jonathan's first time in Canada and I'm sure that he won't be disappointed.

I've had an interesting day overall. I got rather depressed (not clinically depressed, I hasten to add) every now and then, but Bill, David or Jonathan would always turn up with some interesting new work. In fact, I don't think that I got anything done today, but we did make some progress thinking through some of the statistical problems. I really couldn't face cooking tonight so I went out for a meal. I now cannot face tidying up the house, so I've been playing the guitar and now writing this blog. I've really got to get this house in order!

I'm going to be spending an enormous amount of time at Parkes from the end of this month. I have to go for a week, come back for about 3 days and then go again for about 5 days. I'm trying to arrange the schedule so that I don't have to miss my first Italian lesson, but I may not have succeeded :(

... and who says the Poms spend all their time complaining! ...

4 comments:

Alison Hobbs said...

I've sent you an email about where you could spend the rest of Christmas Eve when you get off the 'plane.

Keep looking forward!

Alison Hobbs said...

Playing the guitar?

It might be interesting if you wrote a blog entry telling us how many musical instruments you have in the house at present. I am rapidly losing count.

Anonymous said...

What you need is to organise a tidying up party with your mates. Invite them round. Prebook an internet supermarket (do you have them?!) to deliver some party food/barbeque food and drink and some paper plates etc at 6 pm at a weekend. Have all your friends round and get them to help you tidy up as quickly as possible. Set 30 minute timers on a beeper and rush around until it beeps, then have a drink, then set another 30 minutes.
When the food arrives, stop, eat and throw all the things away afterwards.
I did this when I was in late pregnancy and it was really helpful for me.
Let me know and I'll book the food and plates for you from over here - just let me know how many people are coming and what internet grocery stores you have - then the food will be a pleasant (I hope) surprise too!

Miri said...

I hope that you and Jonathan have a great time in Canada.