Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Success


Good! Today I've managed to 1) cook a good dinner, 2) get a reasonable amount of work done on the Jodrell timing noise paper, 3) do some exercise by playing ping pong in the evening, 4) book the hotel in Vancouver and 5) increase my Hirsch ranking! I've now got 17 papers with 17 or more citations!

I thought that I'd better put a photo on this blog of my nephew Alex!

I have some exciting plans now to travel to the tip of Portugal from Australia -- by train. My current plan is to take the train from Sydney to Darwin. Take the boat or fly to Singapore. Then take the train to Kuala Lumpur and on to Bangkok. I'd then head up towards Hanoi and across to Xian. I can then pick up the trans-China train to Urumqi. Across Kazakstan into Saratov in Russia. Across to Moscow and then to Warsaw, Berlin, Paris and then down into Spain and Portugal. Any volunteers for coming with me - language skills in any Asian or Continental European language would certainly be welcome!

On a more reasonable time scale, Joris and I are planning to walk the 6 foot track across the Blue Mountains sometime near the end of next month. This should take about 3 days in total.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a journey. I'll send you my "teach yourself the Russian alphabet" lessons. I'm afraid with little Alex it's going to be hard to join you in Moscow (where I'd like to join you), but I think we may be able to join you for Berlin to Paris given sufficient notice so we can book leave.

Anonymous said...

ps. I'm jealous of your Hirsch rating! I think mine is about to go from 2 to 3.

Unknown said...

I wonder about you taking 3 days to do a 6 foot track. That would imply 2 feet per day. I suspect that that's a little under-ambitious although I can't be certain given the stress you've been under lately.

Unknown said...

Sorry I think I misunderstood in my previous comment. Rereading the blog I now see that it meant that the walk could only be undertaken by people with 6 feet. Hexapods in fact. My apologies for any confusion.

Anonymous said...

Hi George! Great games of ping pong- I think I can only win when you've had some drink!

That's a cool picture with you and baby, which one's the baby?

We're going to Canada!!!!!!!

PS. Hi George's Mum & Dad- you guys sound friendly :)

Miri said...

I love the picture of you and Alex. I am looking forward to meeting him sometime. I am impressed by your travel plans. I will meet you in Paris. Good luck with the six foot track.