Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A few photos

I attach a few photos of our hike. The hike was from the road near the Jenolan caves to Katoomba. In total this was around 45km and took three days. My first photo is of my "bivvy" - a rather small tent that lets the rain in (as I discovered on the first night when a thunderstorm passed overhead). The next photo gives some idea of the type of hiking! For the first two days we were walking along quite a wide dirt road through some rather spectacular scenery.

The biggest problem for me was carrying the rucksack. Mine "weighed" 20kg at the start and even though I drank about 8lt of water enroute, it didn't seem any lighter at the end!







One of the most exciting (and for me, the most scary) parts of the trip was crossing a very wobbly bridge (that felt as if it was about to turn upside down) over a river bed (about 30m down).





Climbing out of the valley at the end was rather challenging as well. However, the views were really spectacular.

I'll add a few more photographs tomorrow. We spotted a wallaby, snakes, various lizards, heaps of parrots ...

Overall, a great hike!

7 comments:

faith said...

Please tell Albert I love his hat!!

Miri said...

Well done ! Fantastic. Looks amazing. Great that you are using your bivvy. I am so pleased that you are doing lots of hiking and music. Hope you get to go to a Rachmaninov concert. Well done on doing music with Nicole. You can use any of my violin music.

Alison Hobbs said...

Your bivvy looks like a sort of portable coffin, rather like the sort of thing a Lyke Wake Walker might carry ... (see http://members.aol.com/WalkerToys/Childhood_Memories/lykewake.htm)
--- I did that hike, once, all in one go, what's more.

Anonymous said...

Sounds scary, tiring and exhilarating. Hope you don't publish any pictures of the snakes.

Ian Pye said...

I assume it was the "6 foot track" you walked. Nice photos. Its a walk I've wanted to do for ages, but haven't got around to yet.

Anonymous said...

George should buy proper kit:
http://www.kilgore.demon.co.uk/Html/Bivvy.htm

"Waterproof".... unless that is a relative term that means different things in different countries?

Cheers

Peter

George Hobbs said...

Hi Ian,

Yes it was the 6 foot track! A really wonderful hike. I really recommend walking from Jenolan to Katoomba (although you have a huge climb at the start and the end). The people walking the other way looked a lot more tired than we were!