Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Poor neighbours

Another wonderful evening. Nicole came around again to have a meal and play lots and lots and lots of music. We succeeded in playing an entire Haydn symphony for piano duet! After dinner we moved on to the Kol Nidre and Kreisler's Praeludium and Allegro.

Wow!

We then score-read the final movement of the Rachmaninov 2nd piano concerto. It's amazing listening to music like that with somebody that could, potentially, actually play it!! Anyway, we are going to a concert in the Sydney Rachmaninov festival (conducted by Ashkenazy) sometime next week. We also hope to play the Messian Quartet for the End of Time in concert sometime, perhaps, in December!

I've got heaps of photos to put on this blog from the walk. Unfortunately, I left my USB disk at work and so won't be able to transfer them to this computer until tomorrow.

The Italian course is getting harder and harder. I felt like a school-boy again as I was trying to finish my homework on the bus to the course. Oh well, I cannot get any worse! The teacher, Laura, has given us about 30 verbs to learn for next week.

2 comments:

Alison Hobbs said...

Did you ever see the film "Shine" about the young man (David Helfgott) who had a nervous breakdown after performing the Rachmaninov concerto?

George Hobbs said...

I have seen "Shine". A great film. In fact Nicole and I were chatting about the film last night - she hasn't seen it! I'm going to try and get a copy, but it seems hard to find here.

David Helfgott is Australian and actually performed in Sydney last year. Unfortunately I couldn't get to his concerts.

Nicole is now playing the Rachmaninov sonata that Emma bought me for my birthday a few years back!