Sunday, October 7, 2007

Last night of observing


The observing for the GLAST NASA mission finished a few minutes ago. Now I can actually sleep for 10 hours or so! I "worked" today from 3:30am until 9:15pm. Actually, I found it impossible to concentrate after lunch and so planned another trip across Australia. I'm not sure when I'll fit this one in, but it seems possible to travel overland from Sydney to Darwin, but taking a non-standard route. The route that I've planned is train from Sydney to Brisbane. Change to the sleeper train from Brisbane to Winton (in the middle of absolutely nowhere). From Winton it is possible to catch a bus to Mt Isa and on to Tennant Creek. From Tennant Creek, I will be able to pick up the Ghan train to Darwin. This journey should take me from the coast, to outback, to the desert, to rainforest and back to the coast.

I'm also interested in driving from Broome to Darwin. GOOGLE maps gives directions as:

Turn onto Great Northern Hwy: 967 km
Turn right at Victoria Hwy: 554 km
The road bends to the left: 202 km


I showed around a bunch of 10 yr old girls around the telescope today. They seemed more interested in my ability to turn them into aliens using my mac - see photo

1 comment:

Miri said...

Why are you working such long hours? I don't think you are allowed to work such a long shift (health and safety). It will be great if you can travel on The Ghan. I think there is a picture of a camel on it and you like camels. The girls look funky as aliens. I used an apple mac for the first time in Glasgow. Waqas has a laptop.