Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Snakes at Parkes

We had an interesting finish to our Parkes observing which involved meeting a very large brown snake, climbing to the focus cabin to discover some nesting parrots in the feed, narrowly missing some kangaroos on the road, eating in a diner in Bathurst, discovering that the mountains were all foggy and finally getting home by 1am.

Today, I was a little tired, but had to give a talk at the pulsar timing array meeting in the morning. Work went remarkably well. In the evening, Jonathan and I went out for a Viet. meal in Eastwood, before I beat him a table tennis (ha, ha - hope he's reading this). Sarah is coming to stay tomorrow and then I'm off to Parkes again on the weekend.

I sat around drinking wine and playing Chopin waltzes to myself this evening- this leads to some rather depressed thoughts and so I switched to Scott Joplin and coke. Now, I'm feeling wide awake and cannot get to sleep.

4 comments:

faith said...

I would avoid playing the Scott Joplin and giving coke to the brown snake, if I were you. You don't want it getting lively.

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad you haven't included a photo this time...

Unknown said...

yep- i'm reading for sure. i think we both know that you won because you were scoring... but you always keep score because i can't.

Anonymous said...

I can understand the bit about the scorer having the advantage. But who was the umpire?