Monday, November 19, 2007

Interesting hike


Wow - another interesting hike. Dick, Alma, Bill and I went hikeing around the Manly Dam on Sunday. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera, but should get some photos from Bill and Dick to add to this blog. The main interest was 1) Dick almost falling over the edge of a waterfall, 2) watching a red-bellied black snake swim around into the pool that I was considering having a swim in and 3) having a rather dramatic encounter with a deadly brown snake. The snake was huge - about 2m long and the width of my arm. Dick was about 1m from it when it reared up and then shot off at great speed (luckily in the opposite direction to us). As Dick said in an email to Maryam: "It's the largest snake I've ever seen in the wild and probably the closest I've ever been to one! They are pretty dangerous - most venomous in Australia".

Reading about these snakes afterwards is quite interesting. Apparently they sometimes chase after people! I also discovered that there is a 4m long python that lives in the Sydney region.

By the way, I've given up on trying to convince Emma to visit me here (or even probably look at my blog again)!

Italian is going well. Io ho fame. I also learnt that the word for "finger" is masculine if it is singular and feminine if it is plural.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always suspected that, like Canada, Australia is uninhabitable. In Canada it's the weather, in Australia the fauna. And possibly in both, the politics, although that can be fixed somewhat easier than the weather and fauna.

Anonymous said...

Got to watch out as some people have problems with pictures of snakes....