Saturday, November 17, 2007

Getting on with things

I'm still rather down about M. and cleaning up all her stuff, but lots of good things have also happened recently. I'm just back from a wonderful concert with the Sydney Symphony conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy (THE Vladimir Ashkenazy!) performing Rachmaninov's Vocalise, the 3rd pieno concerto (Garrick Ohlsson on piano who also played a Rachmaninov prelude as an encore) and the symphonic dances. I went with Nicole who kindly drove me back home. She has convinced me to try and learn a piano piece properly - i.e. take months over the piece and slowly work up from one hand at a time etc. I've never learnt a piece like this before - any ideas? I'm torn between a Schubert sonata and some Liszt.

Other good things: tomorrow Kate and I are going out to look for a 'cello bow. I'm going to buy a bow to celebrate getting a PERMANENT RESEARCH POSITION at the ATNF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've just got the documents: I haven't read them in detail, but am being offered an indefinite appointment as follows:

Title: Research Scientist
From: 01 Jan 08
Duration: Indefinite
CSIRO level: --- about 4 steps higher than I'm currently at!!!

Signed by the ATNF director!!!!

This is all conditional on me being granted a permanent residence VISA in Australia. I really hope that all the crazy stuff that has happened with Maryam doesn't cause a problem, but I don't see why it should.

Work is going very well. I've almost finished my tempo2 paper III and Bill and I are working on another paper to study error analysis in pulsar timing. I also have to go down to Canberra in mid-December to talk to some important politicians about our project to make the Parkes telescope operable by high school students.

Lots to do ... (including learning some more Italiano)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Would suggest you learning the accompaniment to Winterreise properly. You have 6 weeks.

Miri said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the PERMANENT RESEARCH POSITION!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. You deserve it as you are the best pulsar astronomer in the world and you are dedicated to pulsars and you work really hard. I know that this position is what you always wanted. I hope it all goes really well. I will pray for you in Rome.
You are a star !!!!!!