Thursday, August 13, 2009

Melbourne airport


Melbourne airport is not the most exciting place in the known Universe. However, it's not too bad. I'm sitting in the "re BaR" drinking some very expensive beers and hoping that this internet connection doesn't die. I had a nice day today. Rob made me wake up at some ridiculously early hour for breakfast and then he gave a very good radio interview. Jonathan and Rob then disappeared off in a taxi to the airport. I walked up to the museum to see the exhibition on Pompeii. At the start I wasn't too impressed. Basically there was lots of pots and jars and fish hooks etc. and I was getting a little bored, but then I turned the corner and they exhibited a carbonised bread loaf! Now that probably doesn't sound too exciting, but to see some bread that had been left in an oven to burn while the baker tried to escape when Versuvius erupted did make the exhibition seem more personal! Then I went in to see a really impressive 3D movie that was extremely dramatic of the volcano erupting and buildings collapsing and being covered in ash. However, by far the most moving part of the exhibition were the body casts of people that had died. There were couples holding each other. A man squatting and trying to cover his nose to avoid suffocating. A dog trying to break its chain.

After the exhibition I did amble around the rest of the museum which has an excellent forest with birds flying around and a huge ancient armadillo, but I didn't really take it in.

Now I'm relaxing at the airport, reading Picnic at Hanging Rock and looking forward to my flight in a few hours!!

No comments: