Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 6: A relaxing day

Today was relaxing. Sha and I were both tired from our hike down the mountain and so decided to do some shopping instead. For lunch we went to Pizza Hut. This didn't sound particularly exciting, but I was assured that I'd find it interested! I did! I've never been to a Pizza Hut before with such a variety of food on offer. This was pizza Chinese style! "Curry Beef Rice", "Baked Chicken with Laksa Sauce". We had a huge pizza with various kebabs and spicy side dishes. For dessert we had a superb green tea icecream cake. During lunch I was trying to read all the signs in Chinese nearby. It's very exciting to be able to recognise a character!

After lunch we went shopping. First we went into a bookshop where I bought a book called "Sights with Stories in Old Beijing". Then I went and bought a ping-pong bat. I bought it for Jonathan, but there's a good chance that I might keep it for myself (sorry Jono!). Sha had, very cruelly, left me to buy the bat alone. That is not as easy as it sounds. First you take the bat to one counter. You leave it there and are given a bunch of pieces of paper. You take these pieces of paper to another desk where you pay for the bat. The lady at that counter then gives you heaps more little pieces of paper which you take back to the first desk. Finally, after handing over a random selection of bits of paper, you get the bat.

We then had a very interesting walk around the supermarket and bought lots of bottles of water and strange fruits that neither of us had eaten before (in particular a strange type of pear and a mix between a mango and an apple). I also bought a pair of sandals which should massage my feet as I walk. I'm sure that they were originally designed as a torture device.

We then walked (again down the highway) to a restaurant near the Olympic Park where we met up with Xiaopeng and Han for dinner. Very posh!! We had an enormous amount of food (including a Beijing Duck) and discussed science and various projects that we could work on in the future. Finally, Sha and I walked around the Olympic Park again to try and walk-off some of the food that we had eaten.

No comments: