Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day 8: The ancient observatory

It's my last day in China today :( My flight leaves around 4pm and I get back to Sydney early in the morning on Sunday. I'm meeting up with Sha and Xiaopeng for breakfast soon, but thought that I'd forget my packing and write about the ancient observatory instead.

The observatory is beautiful. Apparently nobody else is interested because it was almost completely empty (the first place in China that has been quiet). The observatory started during the Ming dynasty in 1442. There were lots of sundials, spheres and dragons. There were lots of interesting displays about various Chinese astronomers who translated astronomical texts from Europe. We read a plaque about Zu Chongzhi who, sometime around the year 429 calculated that PI was between 3.1415926 and 3.1415927 (although it didn't say how he did that). We then met a man who works at the observatory and talked a lot about astronomy and the observatory. Next time I come I'm going to be introduced to some of their historians of astronomy to ask about Chinese records of supernova remnants!

Then Sha and I went out for a romantic meal where we sat on swings in the restaurant before going for another long walk around the area! Finally we found a tea shop where I bought some tea and we took part in a tea ceremony where we were given the best Oolong and Jasmine teas!

(P.S. The turtle is Da de de - Sha's pet!)

1 comment:

Myriam Dings said...

Hi George,

In the 17th (?) century, a Belgian (Flamish) priest came to China as a missionaire. He became famous there because of his work in astronomy. His name: Ferdinand VERBIEST! (this is NOT a joke!) You did not find any trace of him over there?!

Myriam (Joris' mum,remember?)