Thursday, May 29, 2008

onwards to Parkes

Jonathan and I like Parkes! We were only there a week or two ago, but came back for a holiday! I've driven to Parkes heaps of times now and I still get excited on the road trying to be the first person to spot the telescope (in fact, this is a bit unfair as I know exactly where it is!).

Dick and Sarah were observing. Dick seemed very amused that Jonathan and I had turned up. Anyway, he was very friendly and didn't mind us looking around the control room. We all headed off to see a film (which was reasonably good, but rather old) about the dish and then for a walk around inside. As the dish was observing, we couldn't get on to the surface, but did climb up a ladder to get up as far as the Master Equatorial room.

As the Sun started to set we went outside to take sunset photos of the dish - although I now realise that I only have one photo that includes the dish! I blame Tiffany for her photo suggestions! Later we planned to head straight into the city, but got so distracted by the kangaroos and then the stars that we spent ages looking for shooting stars and satellites. I was trying to sound impressive and naming the stars, but they soon realised that I was making it all up. Oh well, I should go travelling with people who are a little more gullible.

We drove back in the town to have an enjoyable Thai meal before heading around to J.S.'s house. He managed to impress Christine as his name is in the credits of the film "The Dish" and actually controlled the telescope during the filming. We had fun with his family and dragged out his optical telescope to look at the rings of Saturn, the moons of Jupiter and the craters on our own moon.

... and back to the hotel. The last installment should come tomorrow. Jonathan drove us back to Sydney via the stunning Borenore caves ...



No comments: