Sunday, January 20, 2008

Weekend

I don't know why I look so fat in this photo (I don't think that I put on that much in Canada)! The photo was taken on a lovely walk today around the harbour with Kate and Joris. The weekend was fun. On Saturday, I got my eyes tested (no change) and ordered a trendy pair of sunglasses. Joris and I then did a bit of shopping (which included buying a cricket bat, wicket and ball). We then met a bunch of friends at work and played cricket in the rain (very English) for an hour or so. We then played ping-pong. In the evening everyone came around to my house for an indoor BBQ. Today, we went on the hike.

Tomorrow, Joris, Rob, Matt and I are driving to Parkes. I'm going to be filmed driving for the student remote observing project!

3 comments:

Alison Hobbs said...

If you're going to play cricket then you need to get the terminology correct. The wicket is the piece of grass (or, in West Africa, matting) between the stumps. It is unlikely that you bought the wicket. More likely that you bought stumps. What about bails so that you can burn them to make ashes?

Comment by cwlh

George Hobbs said...

Actually I did buy a wicket! It consisted of three metal stumps on a post. i.e. it's a ready made wicket (as wikipedia says "Each wicket consists of three stumps, upright wooden poles that are hammered into the ground, topped with two wooden crosspieces, known as the bails")

faith said...

Ah, but you shouldn't believe EVERTHING you read in Wikipedia!!
Nice to see you safely back and with at least some Oz sunshine, too. You look just fine to me.. (fat???? You're joking!)