Thursday, September 10, 2009

A concert at the opera house


It seems that so much is happening at the moment. At work we've interviewed and selected a new research assistant. I'm also putting together an application to get a new postdoctoral researcher who will work with the pulsar group. Vikram and Daniel have been working hard on their papers. I decided to go home today when my email inbox reached 1,000 messages. Oh dear. I've now managed to cut it down to 299, but still have a long way to go. One thing that was exciting (at least to me) was that I now have three papers with more than 100 citations!!

Yesterday, Sha and I went to the opera house. It was a great first concert (Sha hadn't been to the opera house before and hadn't heard many classical concerts). We heard three concertos (concerti?). The first was a Handel Concerto Grosso. A nice, short, straight-forward work. The second was Dvorak's cello concerto. Wow!! Wonderful. The 'cellist Gautier Capuçon was excellent. Apparently he was also very handsome. Anyway, all I remember was that he played superbly and is younger than me. My only problem with the Dvorak concerto is that I sit through it wondering how much the triangle player gets paid. He sits completely still for about 30 minutes, but whacking his triangle a few times and then does nothing for the rest of the piece. After the interval we heard the World premier of a horn concerto by Christopher Gordon. I must admit that I preferred the Dvorak!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....