Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Day 2 in Central Australia

We woke early and headed West toward Uluru. The landscape was stunning - flat open expanses followed by (surprisingly) quite hilly terrain. Our first main stop was the Mt. Connor view point which we, rather embarrassing, thought was Uluru (apparently, this is quite common for "eager travellers").

Mt. Connor was stunning. A huge rock in the middle of a vast open plain. We stood in the red sand feeling rather insignificant in the incredible desert landscape.

It took another 100km or so before we got our first view of the real Ayres Rock! It's spectacular. Everybody that I've met who has been to Uluru was expecting to be disappointed by a huge rock in the desert and they all reported an amazing experience. The same happened for me. The rock really is incredible. I expected it to be in the middle of a vast, flat area, but our first views came from quite hilly areas (with high sand-dunes).

We checked in at the Yalara camp ground (which seems to have a complete monopoly - the only other option being setting up your tent on the side of the road) and drove into the National Park. Instead of being normal tourists and immediately going to Uluru we headed to Kata Tjuta. This blog is going to get very boring. All I can think of saying is "wow", "superb" and "what wonderful scenery". Hiking around Kata Tjuta (we followed the "Valley of the Winds" walk) was outstanding. It was rocky, hot and dramatic. We saw our first zebra finches and a few small lizards. Marta has just written on my facebook account "I left my heart in Kata Tjuta" -- how true! It's a wonderful place.

I've just been out for meal (and lots of drinks) at the Eastwood hotel. I'm ready for bed now. I'll leave you in Kata Tjuta - more tomorrow ...

1 comment:

faith said...

That's uncanny - like reading our own diary! - because that's exactly what we did/saw/thought, yes, all of it!

Wonderful, isn't it!