Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Six naked astronomers




This is going to be hard to explain!! This morning Sha and I woke before sunrise to walk around Wuzhen in the peace and quiet. Now I'm writing up my blog in a very posh hotel whilst working my way through the fruit platter. Between the two, we've taken a taxi for hundreds of kilometres, been on the World's fastest train, unsuccessfully hunted for more suitable shoes for me, flown to Xi'An and then, ... err ... hmmm ... ending up with a pair of very tight trunks and a white dressing gown, walking along lantern lit corridors and relaxing in hot pools full of fish. Xiaopeng met me and said "We haven't met for one year, I didn't expect to meet you naked." Well!

The flight was great (although late). We saw a firework display from above! We arrived rather early at Shanghai airport, found somewhere to eat and then decided to find an excuse to take the maglev train. The excuse was to buy me some shoes that are actually suitable for sub-zero temperatures. The maglev is amazing! It reaches 430km/hr and takes just over five minutes to go 30km. Unfortunately it doesn't go anywhere useful. In fact, the place that it takes you to doesn't even have a shoe shop. So we got back on the next train and went back to the airport.

Damn ... the upload speed is basically zero here and so I don't seem to be able to attach any photos. I'll try and get one or two in.

No comments: