Saturday, June 20, 2009

Trying hard to like New York ...


I keep getting told that my blog is always enthusiastic about everything. New York is going to challenge this and it's all because of my silly expectations. Out of all my travels this year I had assumed that the one place I'd really enjoy was NY, but this place is so difficult to like. Even my USA guide-book seems confused: "With its skyscrapers and bright lights, this is a city of superlatives ..." and then ... a few pages later when describing The Bronx: "visitors still frequent the area to escape the overwhelming city concrete for some beauty and quiet". Yes, New York has some impressive views, but it's mainly concrete. I made the mistake of walking from 94th street to the base of Manhattan (basically 3/4 of the island) - this is a long way! Anyway, I don't recommend the walk. I went past lots of sights, but trudged for hours between them.

I think that I've been very spoilt recently. New York doesn't have the spectacular views of Christchurch, it doesn't have the beautiful avenues of Washington DC, it's not exotic like Beijing, it doesn't even have the impressive skyscrapers and water views of Sydney. Wow ... I'm being very negative. Sorry about that. Hopefully someone will read this blog who loves NY and can tell me how to enjoy this city.

Anyway I set out this morning and walked across to the Hudson river. It has lots of rusting pieces of metal in the water. I then walked South. I saw a goose. Then an aircraft carrier. Two men were 'whispering' (American people don't whisper very well!) in awe - "... there's our saviour on the water". I walked down 42nd street to find "Times Square". I missed it. I turned around and missed it again. Then it was pointed out to me. It's not even a square - it's a triangle. And it's tiny. Feeling rather annoyed with myself for dreaming of parrots and palm trees (there were lots of signs advertising Sydney), I had a coffee (mistake .. LEARN ... do not drink coffee in America). I kept walking South to the Empire State Building. Where do people stand to photograph it? I could only get pictures of Starbuck's Coffee and Adult Boutique Establishments. Anyway, it is quite impressive. Then it started raining!

I kept going South. The street names are exciting: "33rd St, 32nd St, 31st St, 30th St, 29th St, 28th St, 27th St, 26th St" and then got to Madison Square Park. That was also small. I cut through Greenwich village which according to my book is a "bohemian haven" and a popular "gay district", through Washington Square (where I rested to watch a very good jazz group), through SoHo historic district which has the "largest concentration of cast-iron architecture in the world", back onto Broadway, past the City Hall and then across to the Brooklyn Bridge. That was impressive. It would have been even better if the New Yorker's would stop shouting at each other for a while. Couples were arguing, office workers were arguing, cyclists were shouting at pedestrians (and vice versa) .... This does not seem a happy city!

I then had another coffee (MISTAKE - No more coffee in America) and was served by a very grumpy waiter. I kept heading down the island, past Wall St and finally reached the base of the island and had my first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty. I wanted to take a ferry to Ellis Island, but the queue was enormous (and would have taken hours). Also I wasn't allowed to take my backpack onto the boat because of all the bombs that it probably contained (by the way, there were signs saying 'don't pick the flowers' in English and Swedish ... no idea why!). So I sat around watching the boats and wondering what to do.

In the end, I took a train to Grand Central and then walked back to the hotel through Central Park. Things were looking up! The clouds started to clear and the park really is beautiful!

Hopefully, things improve tomorrow. I need to check out of this hotel and will go to one closer to the University. Then I want to see some of the museums. In the evening I'm hoping to meet up with Joris.

Okay ... someone tell me why New York is so wonderful! I'm off for a curry ...

1 comment:

Alison Hobbs said...

Your photos don't give a bad impression of the city actually. Keep searching for something worth remembering!

Anyway I'm determined to take you out for a good coffee in a few days. I frequent a little place where I think even you won't dislike the (freshly roasted, freshly ground, organic, free trade) coffee they serve. It's about five minutes' walk from our house.