Friday, June 19, 2009

No skyscrapers - only pineapples

I think that I'm going to like New York City. It's completely opposite to what I was expecting. On the flight over (where according to the captain we "would not cross even a tiny scrap of land between Sydney and Los Angeles"), I was dreaming about huge, glistening, glass skyscrapers, large boulevards, crowds of people, brightly coloured billboards, posh hotels, lots of theatres and a few dark side-streets containing an assorted mix of assassins, the mafia and dead bodies.

I didn't expect pineapples. Lots of them. I also didn't expect the taxi driver to get us completely lost. I was surprised by the hotel. I should be able to sleep tonight, but my suitcase will have to be my foot-rest or my pillow. I'm in room 'zero' on floor nine. You get there by two elevators that creak.

I went out for dinner. New York City is identical to Manchester. It really is! I couldn't find any sky scrapers. There's a lot of concrete and building sites. It's grey and drizzling. I walked down broadway. I found an open pet shop (at 9pm), lots of pineapple stalls and a MacDonalds. I bought a burger. Then I found a Dunkin' Donuts. I had a 'donut'. Then I bought a pineapple. I'm not sure what to do with it (I have no knife), but I thought that I'd fit in as a local.

The locals are strange. They mumble to themselves rather repetitively. "she can't find out ... she can't find out ...", "I'm a moron ... I'm a moron ...", "I f*** y'all". Realising that eavesdropping on conversations with a huge pineapple under my arm was probably not a great idea, I headed back to the hotel.

I'll look for skyscrapers tomorrow.

Oh ... remind me to go on ... and on .. and on ... about how beautiful the landscape in Western USA looks. It's spectacular!

3 comments:

Alison Hobbs said...

There's an interesting variety of recent reviews of your hotel on the TripAdvisor website. One of the reviewers advised that you keep your door double locked at all times. Maybe you'd better move to another (more expensive) hotel? After reading your blog post, I'm feeling a bit guilty about having recommended this place-- I really had no more clue than you did!

Alison Hobbs said...

Anyway, never mind. Welcome to North America, and see you soon.

Joris said...

That's fascinating, George - I'm looking forward to getting there myself (T-21 hours).

The West is indeed a beautiful region (for all I know), but far from the only one. Why don't you come and pay WVU a visit? I'm sure you'd love the "mountain" state!