Sunday, June 21, 2009

China to the rescue



I'm a student again. I'm in Carmen Hall at Columbia University. It is a typical student hall of residence. My day started off well. I got invited to have a holiday in China at the end of July or start of August.

I set off out the hotel in a happy frame of mind. It was raining. Actually it was pouring and I didn't have a raincoat or an umbrella. I got wet. I walked North up Broadway and spotted some more pineapples. Then I ambled around the North end of Central Park in the rain. I found a good second hand bookshop that was closing and spent a happy hour choosing which book to buy. I ended up with one on the Mekong river and then ambled over to Dunkin Donuts to escape the rain and start reading.

After lunch I had to lug my suitcase from 94th street to 120th street in the rain to get to my new 'lodging'. That was fun. I then discovered that Joris' flight had been cancelled and so I won't be meeting him tonight. I decided to go to a museum. I had planned on visiting the Natural History museum, but was worried that I'd be upset if my expectations were not reached. So I went to the "Museum of New York" instead. They had three exhibitions. The first was on "paintings of railings". ummm .... I'm sure that most people find railings fascinating, but I obviously wasn't in the right frame of mind today. Then I went to the second exhibition. This was on the wildlife of New York. Actually it was on the wildlife of New York that existed before all the people came and killed them all. Apparently there were mountain lions here and Times Square was a beaver swamp. The exhibition kept telling me how good the exhibition was and how they'd even used scientists to work some things out. Then there really was a good exhibition. It was about the dutch explorers. I spent ages looking at ancient maps including those by Mercator.

Finally I went to a "real american diner" and met a friendly waiter. He was from Melbourne.

2 comments:

Mel said...

“A car is useless in New York, essential everywhere else. The same with good manners.”

“I can't wait to get back to New York City where at least when I walk down the streat, no one ever hesitates to tell me exactly what they think of me.”

“New York's such a wonderful city. Although I was at the library today. The guys are very rude. I said, "I'd like a card." He says, "You have to prove you're a citizen of New York." So I stabbed him.”

“I moved to New York City for my health. I'm paranoid and it was the only place where my fears were justified.”

(New York) is the place where all the aspirations of the Western World meet to form one vast master aspiration, as powerful as the suction of a steam dredge. IT is the icing on the pie call Christian civilization.

Mel

Anonymous said...

Oh George. I can tell you're not enjoying yourself because there are no pictures of aeroplane wings.

I suspect that you're happiest when you're lost, can't understand what anyone is saying and just moments away from a near-death experience. Actually why aren't you enjoying NYC?

In fact I agree with you and I feel the same about London. You slog your way through the crowded, noisy and smelly public transport to catch a glimpses of the iconic sights and then try and leave before you get mugged.