Thursday, July 3, 2008

Watching the sun set over the Indian ocean

What a day! I woke at 5am to catch my early flight (in a jumbo jet) to Perth. The flight, as always, was fun. I had three seats to myself and managed to enjoy looking out the window, watching a few documentaries and meeting various astronomers who also happened to be on the flight. My hotel is near a good-looking Indian restaurant which I'm about to try out. After checking in, I headed off on the train to Fremantle (which was really eerie after watching "The Last Train to Freo" a week or so ago). Fremantle is nice. I walked around the Maritime museum (not the one that we went to, Faith, Mel and Maryam) before registering for the meeting. It was wonderful ... I walked down to the river and immediately saw a pod of six or seven dolphins jumping out of the water!!! I now have to write my talk for tomorrow.

It's strange being here again - I have both good and bad memories from previous trips to Perth and Fremantle. On the plane I was getting weird flashbacks of the flight from Perth to Sydney when I'd just been told that M. was in hospital (that was a bad journey). I've also just been told by Christine (who's staying at my house at the moment) that I've just had the forms back which I'd hoped that I had seen the last of (insert choice of swear word)! This is not helping me relax!

No comments: