Sunday, June 19, 2011

In ... ummm ... Canberra

Yesterday I was in the beautiful rainforest. Today I'm on the outskirts of Canberra. I'm in the Hotel Formule X which must rate as Canberra's worst hotel (I won't write what the 'X' stands for in case I get sued, but it is an integer less than 2). The flight was excellent. I arrived early and got moved to an earlier flight. It only took 30 minutes. Then, luckily, I hired a car. Then I got lost. The instructions say: "take Northbourne Avenue. Turn right into Antill Street and turn left approx. 200 m into mote." Assuming that "mote" means "motel" then this seems rather obvious. Actually, you have to drive about 2km up Antill Street to find it.

When you do find the hotel, you discover that there's a reason why it's cheap (all the posh hotels in Canberra are completely full). However, I do have a bunk bed and there is a nice view of the highway outside (and a useful petrol station that stocks shampoo).

Tomorrow, I've been told to get a taxi because there is no parking in Canberra. Here, I have been told that there's no possible way of getting a taxi.

Gosh, I am having fun :P

6 comments:

Amor said...

according to your instrcution, people will know which motel you are in....

Faith said...

We use this hotel chain sometimes in Euope, when in transit and when the alternative would be to sleep in the car, ie strictly utilitarian. They are
1) basic, and always identical
2) cheap
3) ALWAYS on the outskirts of wherever you are, by a motorway junction, in an industrial estate.
Enjoy!

Mel said...

... and we shall be using the salf-same chain again (at least twice) during our French holiday in August because they are
1) basic, and always identically competently managed
2) cheap
3) ALWAYS on the outskirts of wherever you are, by a motorway junction, in an industrial estate and near a http://www.buffalo-grill.fr/

Faith said...

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against them!! They are totally reliable! I don't have aspirations to Intercontinental standards!

Mel said...

True ... this is more Faith's style
http://krabidir.com/ourjunglehouse/

George Hobbs said...

On the first night I went for a walk in the wastelands of Canberra next to the hotel (unfortunately, no buffalo grill next door). There was a row of empty houses and two men sitting in a government car watching the houses with binoculars. On the second night, a coach-worth of school-girls turned up who spent the entire night giggling very loudly.

Luckily the volcano intervened and I'm now back at home in Sydney!