Friday, May 22, 2009

Seeing the stars from Beijing

What a beautiful day. The sky was blue and now, at night, I can see the Northern hemisphere stars. It's amazing. In the morning I went with two students to Beijing observatory to give a talk about the details of tempo2. The taxi ride to the observatory was interesting. We only witnessed one crash, but felt as if we were about to die at any moment! The talk seemed to go well and they kindly took me out for a huge banquet for lunch (which involved copious amounts of alcohol) and gave me some money (actually quite a lot of money)! Beijing observatory is close to the Olympic park and so a group of us then ambled around the park. It's nice!

I'm then a bit embarrassed. I was planning on walking around the University a little, but fell asleep instead :( whoops. Anyway, in the evening I met up with KJ for another great dinner where we ended up eating an awful lot of corn and drinking a huge amount of beer.

I'm ready to sleep again. The conference continues over the weekend ...

1 comment:

Joris said...

"the conference continues over the weekend"! Poor you. However, with all that talk about quark stars, I would have expected you'd get your fair share of sleep in the lecture room...