Friday, May 1, 2009

Good things to say about Virginia Beach

I'm going to try hard. Real hard. I'm going to find good, exciting things to say about Virginia Beach. Well it's odd. The hotel is odd. Apparently the lift ("elevator") has a capacity for 3500! I've just had lunch at a cafe called "blimpies" and believe (looking around at the customers) that the elevator could probably cope with about 2 people. (Blimpies has just given me food-poisioning!) My bags didn't turn up. I therefore had to wear the same T-shirt for about 30 hours. I went out to buy a new one. There were plenty of opportunities, but all the T-shirts for sale had witty American logos on them: "My PEN IS large", "Will YOU be my girlfriend" ... which probably would have been a little out of place at the conference.

The conference is full of old men. Out of 100 or so people, about 5 are female (and a couple are difficult to tell). They are all rather clever. Approximately 80 percent of the talks have been completely incomprehensible either because of the thick Russian accent or simply because of the content.

Anyway, Virginia beach definitely has a beach. Apparently it is the "World's Largest Pleasure Beach" and is the "No. 1 City for Women"! umm. The beach is very sandy and very long. On one side is a terribly beautiful concrete walkway. Beyond the walkway are lovely, concrete hotels. On the other side is the Atlantic.

It's historical!! In fact it's "rich in history". Apparently there's a cross giving the location where the "Colonists first set foot on the shores of the New World on April 26, 1607". I've just walked for miles, but couldn't find the cross. Probably I needed a car.

Okay there are some really good things. I spotted dolphins from my hotel balcony. I've just watched pelicans fly overhead.

Now it's time for the conference dinner.

2 comments:

faith said...

What on earth is that THING in the sky, George??? (Picture 4, lower right)
???
Hope you don't get abducted by aliens (especially ones posing as androgynous conference delegates).
xx

Joris said...

Well done, George. That was a very valid attempt at trying to find something good to say...

I'm sorry the conference turned out to be so disappointing, but I guess on the positive side, you'll get back to good ol' Australia soon?