Friday, November 14, 2008

"There's some really pretty sheep out there ..."

I've just been to the pub in Goostrey. I eavesdropped on a very interesting conversation that started off by an elderly man with a very strong Northern English accent describing the sheep in the local area. He particularly liked the sheep in the Peak District (they did, however, make some disparaging comments about Welsh sheep). Two nights ago I went to a different pub and listened to a man with the strongest, poshest English accent that I've ever heard describing how he rescued the natives from some steamy jungle somewhere.

I came here to get some papers written, but I seem to be fitting lots in. I gave a talk in Manchester yesterday (in the lecture room where I used to be an undergraduate - quite a few of my old lecturers were in the audience!). I then met up with Maryam, gave an interview for a podcast, had a lovely evening dinner, got a tour around Maryam's work and then crashed into bed around 2am after I'd been swearing at the washing machine for about 2 hours. The night before I got to sleep around 2am as well after taking part in a meeting in Australia by skype.

What else? I've had two papers accepted in the last couple of days so I'm feeling pretty happy about that. Also, we've made a breakthrough on the research that we're carrying out here that should lead to at least three papers!

Before coming up here I spent a great weekend with Emma, Peter and Alex. I'll attach a few photos.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Also, we've made a breakthrough on the research that we're carrying out here that should lead to at least three papers!"

That's a terrible statement. It sounds like one of those academics who values papers. Papers are the rear-view mirror, researchers are supposed to be looking forward, Remember that Wittgenstein only published one "paper", the Tractatus! I think you meant the statement to read:

"Also, we've made a breakthrough on the research that we're carrying out here that should lead to a new, deeper understanding of X. Unfortunately we'll have to publish some papers about it as well and that will unfortunately slow down what we're contributing to the world."

Alison Hobbs said...

Surely though, Mr Anonymous, in order to be seen to be contributing, a scientist has to work within the system as it IS, not as he or she might LIKE it to be.

Anonymous said...

The other point, of course, must be the excitement of being in England on Prince Charles' 60th birthday. That makes it clear why you chose precisely this time to travel from Australia to the UK. I assume that in Australia the celebrations, while extensive, will be more subdued than in the UK.

A posting with photographs shewing the people dancing in the streets of Manchester and the special events at the telescope would be useful as a tonic for those in other parts of the empire.

Miri said...

I like the photo of you and Alex. It is nice for him to see his uncle George. He is really cute and looks happy with you.

Mel said...

Here, in Wales, Prince Charles' significant birthday was celebrated with great joy and excitement. HRH now qualifies for free bus pass and so we hope that we shall see more of him as he continues to rub the royal shoulder with his people. There is a very good bus service to Fochriw, for example, where he will be able to join his subjects in their weekly ritual of "drawin' the dole". It is an old custom, adhered to closely in some parts of the south. Alternatively, he might travel to Maesteg, where nothing is too much trouble for the residents.

Claire :) said...

Ain't naught wrong with pretty sheeps.
What's an observing session without a lot of sheep, really?! :)