Thursday, August 4, 2011

My beautiful yak in Shangri-la














Yunnan is wonderful!!! I'm in love with a yak in Shangri-la. It was white and very fluffy. I sat on it and had my photograph taken!

We had a dramatic bus ride through the mountains (the road went up to 3.5km high but I didn't get altitude sickness!). We only saw a few crashes. One truck went off the side of the road. We saw the first bend in the Yangtze river. Then I sat on my yak. What a yak!

Then we ate a yak kebab and then headed on towards Tiger Leaping Gorge on the Shangri-la side. This was incredible. The whole of the Yangtze river gets squeezed in a narrow gorge. The power was incredible. The waves were massive.

Then we continued the drive higher into the mountains (there were lots of goats, buffalo, yaks and donkeys all over the road + a few chickens and a sad looking monkey in a tiny cage). We went to the Yunnan observatory which is situated in spectacular scenery. Vikram and I bought a potato from a lady on the street.

We finally got back to LiJiang and had the conference dinner. I was allowed to eat the Chicken's head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the yak kebab from the same yak as the one you sat on? I think we should be told.

George Hobbs said...

No no no ... nobody is allowed to eat my yak.