Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Proposing to Sha

I'm engaged!! Engaged to be married!! Engaged to 莎莎. It all happened in New Zealand. I got to the airport about 6 hours early and sat around waiting for Sha, wondering what to do and trying to decide whether she'd say yes or no.

Oh dear. I've just said wo ai Sha Sha to her mum and she didn't understand me at all. I think that I'd better go to another Chinese lesson.

Anyway, Sha finally turned up at the airport and we checked in, had a huge Chinese meal at the airport and then headed off to Christchurch. We landed at 1am and found our way to the hotel on the edge of the botanical gardens. The hotel had a cat called Gary.

In the morning we went for a walk through the gardens. I spent the entire time trying to find a suitable place to propose. I steered Sha to the bonsai garden, but it wasn't very good. I then tried to steer Sha towards a huge beautiful tree, but Sha demanded to see a kiwi. In the end we were walking down the river when I finally found the courage to propose. A huge duck ambled up to watch and quack at us. Sha said "yes"!! :) I had planned a long, detailed speech, but I forgot it all.

Previously I'd asked a Chinese colleague at work for details on how to propose to a Chinese girl, but he wasn't very helpful. He said that he'd ask his mum ... but he didn't.

We then went to see the kiwis which happen to be in the aquarium with some huge rays. The rest of the day seems to be a bit of a blur. I recall drinking a lot of tea and not understanding the Kiwi accent at all (want a lud with your tea and fush un chups?) They seem to swap all the vowels around. We spent the rest of the day walking around the city and had a great dinner at a Beijing restaurant!

Oh yes, the big rugby game between Australia and New Zealand was on in Christchurch. Sha demanded that we watch it on the TV, but she only really wanted to see the haka at the start. New Zealand won.

More on the rest of the holiday tomorrow, but it involved wonderful scenic views of snowy mountains, driving down windy roads, huge eagles flying around us, having spectacular views of the Pacific, seeing baby seals, some extremely great food and making friends with a weka!! :)


3 comments:

Amor said...

I am engaged!! very happy:D After jiao zi proposed to me, he told me his original plan, and I didn't get any hint from that which made him fell a bit annoy~ bcoz I was so eager to see the KIWI :P He proposed in English, and I answered in Chinese~ err....when he asked" would you marry me?" I got shocked, I didn't expect he would propose to me at that moment, then I said" what?"....lol Then he said it again, I answered in Chinese.. and after a big cuddle, we found a big duck watched us... that's all very happy and ROMANTIC~we are together!!!

Alison Hobbs said...

Your smiles are good to see ... but you don't give any explanation for the last picture in the series!

Amor said...

The last pictures was the nasty Japanese people in the name of chinese KongFu, they played on the center of Chrischurch, a bit like HAKA(sorry KIWI people) and my point of view, they are really a clown.